The mission of the Education Ministry is to support the mission and the vision of Lighthouse Baptist Church (LBC) by attending to the educational needs, challenges and successes of its youth as well as attending to our youth’s needs for additional support and guidance from the positive influence of adults. The mission is accomplished through the following: acknowledging the achievements of students in academics and extra curricular activities; providing positive and fruitful relationships between young people and caring adults; providing eligible students with awards to support higher education; and providing assistance to students with academic challenges. The Education Ministry seeks to serve its youth so that our youth will be equipped, empowered and embraced. We are committed to seeing all LBC youth excel in all levels of academic and extra curricular achievement.
The Scholarship Ministry seeks to promote the continuing education of Lighthouse Baptist Church’s graduating seniors and to show support for the children of Lighthouse Baptist Church as they strive toward academic success. This ministry also seeks to provide encouragement to all of the Lighthouse youth to pursue and complete their education both spiritually and academically.
Celestine Darby Scholarship Awards
This award is granted to active LBC youth who are planning to pursue higher education. Candidates must:
- Be active in 2 or more ministries.
- Provide letters from Ministry Heads to confirm applicants’ involvement.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.8 or higher.
- Complete an application.
- Provide a letter of acceptance from colleges and/or universities.
- Provide continuing studies letter or confirmation of registration for students who are continuing their education.
- Provide an essay on a specific topic.
Michelle Parker Distinguished Graduate Award
This award is granted to one LBC youth who has demonstrated outstanding academic, church and community achievements upon high school graduation. Candidates must:
- Be active in 2 or more ministries.
- Provide letters from Ministry Heads confirming applicants’ involvement.
- Complete an application.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Provide an essay on a specified topic.
1) BELL LABS FELLOWSHIPS FOR UNDER REPRESENTED MINORITIES - http://www.bell-labs.com/fellowships/CRFP/info.html
2) Student Inventors Scholarships - http://www.invent.org/collegiate or http://www.invent.org/collegiate/
3) Student Video Scholarships - http://www.christophers.org/vidcon2k.html
4) Coca-Cola Two Year College Scholarships - http://www.coca-colaschola/rs.org/programs.html
5) Holocaust Remembrance Scholarships - http://holocaust.hklaw.com/
6) Ayn Rand Essay Scholarships - http://www.aynrand.org/contests/
7) Brand Essay Competition - http://www.instituteforbrandleadership.org/IBLEssayContest-2002Rules.htm
8) Gates Millennium Scholarships (major) - http://www.gmsp.org/nominationmaterials/read.dbm?ID=12
9) Xerox Scholarships for Students - http://www2.xerox.com/go/xrx/about_xerox/about_xerox_detail.jsp
10) Sports Scholarships and Internships - http://www.ncaa.org/about/scholarships.html
11) National Assoc. of Black Journalists Scholarships (NABJ) - http://www.nabj.org/html/studentsvcs.html
12) Saul T. Wilson Scholarships (Veterinary) - http://www.aphis.usda.gov/mb/mrphr/jobs/stw.html
13) Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund - http://www.thurgoodmarshallfund.org/sk_v6.cfm
14) FinAid: The Smart Students Guide to Financial Aid Scholarships - http://www.fina/id.org/
15) Presidential Freedom Scholarships - http://www.nationalservice.org/scholarships/
16) Microsoft Scholarship Program - http://www.microsoft.com/college/scholarships/minority.asp
17) WiredScholar Free Scholarship Search - http://www.wiredscholar.com/paying/scholarship_search/pay_scholarship
18) Hope Scholarships &Lifetime Credits - http://www.ed.gov/inits/hope/
19) William Randolph Hearst Endowed Scholarship for Minority Students - http://www.apsanet.org/PS/grants/aspen3.cfm
20) Multiple List of Minority Scholarships - http://gehon.ir.miami.edu/financial-assistance/Scholarship/blackhtml
21) Guaranteed Scholarships - http://www.guaranteed-scholarships.com/
22) BOEING scholarships (soma e HBCU connects) - http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/educationrelations/scholarships
23) Easley National Scholarship Program - http://www.naas.org/senior.htm
24) Maryland Artists Scholarships - http://www.maef.org/
26) Jacki Tuckfield Memorial Graduate Business Scholarship (for AA students in South Florida ) - http://www.jackituckfield.org/
27) Historically Black College & University Scholarships - http://www.iesabroad.org/info/hbcu.htm
28) Actuarial Scholarships for Minority Students - http://www.beanactuary.org/minority/scholarships.htm
29) International Students Scholarships & Aid Help - http://www.iefa.org/
30) College Board Scholarship Search - http://cbweb10p.collegeboard.org/fundfinder/html/fundfind01.html
31) Burger King Scholarship Program - http://www.bkscholars.csfa.org/
32) Siemens Westinghouse Competition - http://www.siemens-foundationorg/
33) GE and LuLac Scholarship Funds - http://www.lulac.org/Programs/Scholar.html
34) CollegeNet ' s Scholarship Database - http://mach25.collegenet.com/cgi-bin/M25/index
35) Union Sponsored Scholarships and Aid - http://www.aflcioorg/schol or http://www.aflcioorg/scholarships/scholar.htm
36) Federal Scholarships & Aid Gateways 25 Scholarship Gateways from Black Excel - http://www.blackexcel.org/25scholarships.htm
37) Scholarship &Financial Aid Help - http://www.blackexcel.org/fin or http://www.blackexcel.org/fin-sch.htm
38) Scholarship Links (Ed Finance Group) - http://www.efg.net/link_scholarship.htm
39) FAFSA On The Web (Your Key Aid Form &Info) - http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
40) Aid &Resources For Re-Entry Students - http://www.back2college.com/
41) Scholarships and Fellowships - http://www.osc.cuny.edu/sep/links.html
42) Scholarships for Study in Paralegal Studies - http://www.paralegals.org/Choice/2000west.htm
43) HBCU Packard Sit Abroad Scholarships (for study around the world) - http://www.sit.edu/studyabroad/packard_nomination.html
44) Scholarship and Fellowship Opportunities - http://ccmi.uchicago.edu/schl1.html
45) INROADS internships - http://www.inroads.org/
46) ACT-SO EUR Olympics of the Mind "A Scholarships - http://www.naacp.org/work/actso/act-so.shtml
47) Black Alliance for Educational Options Scholarships - http://www.baeo.org/options/privatelyfinanced.jsp
48) ScienceNet Scholarship Listing - http://www.sciencenet.emory.edu/undergrad/scholarships.html
49) Graduate Fellowships For Minorities Nationwide - http://cuinfo.cornell.edu/Student/GRFN/list.phtml?category=MINORIT
50) RHODES SCHOLARSHIPS AT OXFORD - http://www.rhodesscholar.org/info.html
51) The Roothbert Scholarship Fund - http://www.roothbertfund.com<http://www.roothbertfund.com/>
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT AND RECOGNITION
The Academic Achievement and Recognition Ministry seeks to reinforce Lighthouse Baptist Church with spiritual support of our youth as they strive toward academic success. Once quarterly, this ministry recognizes and presents rewards to our youth in grades Pre-K through 12th grade for their academic achievement based on their quarterly report cards. This also seeks to provide encouragement to all of the Lighthouse youth to pursue and complete their education both spiritually and academically. Additionally, this ministry understands that youth excel in areas other than academics and therefore seeks to recognize student achievement in community service, athletics and other extra curricular activities.
YOUTH ENRICHMENT AND EMPOWERMENT PROGRAM
The Youth Enrichment and Empowerment Program is a faith-based mentoring program sponsored by Lighthouse Baptist Church. We provide service and support to children between the ages of 8 to 18 who reside in the West Lake Community and Charles County, Maryland. We use one-on-one and group mentoring approaches to help us achieve our goals in reaching out to the young people in the program. Our goal is to provide a structured program and trusted relationships which brings young people together with caring individuals who offer guidance support and encouragement aimed at developing the competence, character and leadership skills of the mentee. We strive to assist young people in setting goals for themselves academically, in doing research regarding potential career choices and in coping with social issues of the day (building self-esteem, coping with negative peer pressure, counteracting the influence of gangs and the rise in juvenile crime, and thinking through choices which may have a profound effect on their lives).
The Tutoring Ministry provides additional encouragement and assistance for students (Pre-K through 12th grade) with their academic pursuits. There is a stigma that tutoring is only for below average students. We are here to retire the stigma and to help students catch up, stay on course and get ahead. LBC tutors make the academic success of your child a priority. Through the LBC Tutoring Ministry, students get one-on-one attention and assistance with subjects and tasks that are challenging for the student. Whether your child needs help in a particular subject or in school overall, LBC is dedicated to helping your child reach his or her goal.